The statue was commissioned in 2002 by the Watchet Market House Museum Society.
It was sculpted by Alan B Herriot of Penicusk, Scotland and erected in 2003 as a tribute to Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
This renowned poet resided for some years at the nearby village of Nether Stowey. In 1797 whilst on a walking tour, Coleridge visited Watchet. On seeing the harbour he was inspired to write one of the best known poems in English literature.
"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
Uploaded by Tony Ethridge on 10 May 2013
Location type: Town
OS Grid: ST076434
Local Authority: West Somerset
Nearest postcode: TA23 0UE
(for sat-nav purposes only, a beach does not have a postal address!)